Re-united in Edinburgh after seven weeks apart (2010)
So, remember that time Will left for Edinburgh 2 months ahead of me?
And remember that time I said I never wanted to do that again?
Well, I do. Very vividly. As a matter of fact, I remembered it at the exact moment I told Will he should go for the Germany exchange. Yep, I remembered it then and have been remembering it every day since he got accepted.
German is one of the languages Will needs to know for his studies and New College offers an exchange program for its students. So, of course, Will had to go. No questions about it. Except, this time I’m not going with him.
He’s only going for one semester. Five months. So, because I have a permanent job (in a city where jobs are hard to come by… it took me 6 months before I got my first job… and that’s fast compared to other spouses who have been on the job hunt) and we have a wonderful home here, I thought it would be best if I stayed here. Yes, “I thought”. It was my idea for me to not go (what is wrong with me??). But, I stand by it. I know it’s the right decision for us.
Now, here we are, a week out from D-Day (SO.SOON.) and I may, or may not, be freakin’ out. So, while I’m here, I’ve made a bit of a pseudo-single-girl-to-do-list:
- Quiet times: I really need to be more consistent with my time with God
- Bubble baths: I have no logical answer as to why these stopped.
- Weekend morning cafe time: I love spending time in cafes and getting stuff done (i.e. blog, edit photos, manage bills, read, etc.) amidst a hot cuppa and cakes and cozy couches.
- Manage money better: You guys, I turned into that wife that has turned a blind eye to finances… not. any. more. I’m taking control of them while Will is gone and I’m actually really looking forward to this.
- Gym time: I am going to get ripped! Well, really it’s to get those “happy hormones” (i.e. endorphins) and use the gym’s steam room. Bliss.
- Cook: I want to abuse my cookbooks and really learn them.
- Travel: I have friends to visit in Oxford, Cambridge, and St. Andrews!
- Socialize: I need to make sure I balance my hermit-like tendencies with friend-time and not become a recluse.
- Movies: Will and I have opposite tastes in movies so I’m going to take advantage of the lack of resistance that typically comes from Will.
- The flat: There are a few changes I’ve wanted to do to the flat so I’m going to take this opportunity to make it happen.
All of these things are small but I know they will help make this time just a little more bearable. My goal is not just to get through these next five months, it’s to get through them well. To be strong for my husband as he tries to learn a whole new language in a whole new country with no friends or family near him. It’s going to be hard enough as it is for him; he shouldn’t have to worry about me any more than he normally would.
We’ve got our first trip planned for 6 weeks after he leaves. Last time was seven weeks… this’ll be a walk in the park!
What are some things you do when your spouse is gone? Anything you’d like to try to bring back?